As reported on Live Science, here, and NBC News, here, disposal of wastewater from Hydraulic Fracturing, “Fracking,” has been linked to earthquakes in Ohio. As reported in Green, a the NY Times blog, here, fracking has also been linked to increased seismic activity in Oklahoma, altho scientists are uncertain whether the earthquakes are because of the injection of wastewater underground or the extraction of oil and methane via fracking.
This makes perfect sense. Fracking is, after all, injecting explosives under tremendous pressure into underground rock formations, then exploding the rock formations. To expect that not to have other effects – such as earthquakes – would be naive.
As I see it, regardless of whether it is the extraction process, the fact that a mass of materials is extracted from underground, or the disposal of hazardous waste from the extraction process that causes earthquakes, fracking causes earthquakes.
We should develop and implement a plan to shift from fuel and waste based energy to efficient use of renewable and sustainable energy within 18 years, or sooner. Clean and Green within 18!
Anyone who says “Wind and solar can’t meet our energy requirements” just has not looked at the data.
Part 6 in a Series.
- L. Furman, 3/12/13, Hydro Fracturing, aka Fracking, Dirty & Ugly, but What Choice do we Have?
- L. Furman, 3/14/13, Fracking,Best Practices versus Current Practice
- L. Furman, 3/18/13, Fracking – Above the Law
- L. Furman, 3/24/13, Fracking – Scientifically Proven Clean – But Is It Junk Science?
- L. Furman, 7/2/13, Fracking – As Clean as Chlorine & Benzene
- L. Furman, 9/7/13, Fracking Earthquakes … Fracking Causes Earthquakes
A candidate for New Jersey General Assembly (Site / Join / Contribute) to represent NJ Legislative District 12, I hold a Bachelor’s in Biology and an MBA in “Managing for Sustainability” from Marlboro College. I can be reached at “Larry @ Furman For New Jersey . com” or “‘L Furman 97” @ G Mail.